We know many of you have New Year’s resolutions planned after 2018 begins. (Or goals if “resolutions” are too cliché for you.) Your resolutions may have something to do with travel, finances, career/education, family, or in many people’s cases, health and fitness.
A gym membership can be a great way to reach some of those health and fitness goals, but if that’s not really for you, there are still plenty of things you can do on your own to kick off 2018 in a healthy way!
Here are a few things you can do to begin your year with a healthy kickstart:
- Run for fun. (This may sound like an oxymoron to some of you.) There are always different runs happening around the area. Usually themed, 5Ks, marathons, races, etc. There’s at least one a month, usually more, so you could make a habit out of doing one run a month or whenever you feel like it. Take a look at some of these to get started: http://www.runguides.com/seattle/runs
- Try other kinds of exercise besides running. Dance, yoga, Zumba, cycling. These are all great ways to get moving in a more creative way than usual! You could also try things like joining a recreational sports team or looking up fun workouts on Youtube. There is so much more to choose from than this, so use your imagination and come up with something fun!
- Go hiking. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have plenty of hiking trails to choose from. Click here to see the trails in our state. Hiking is a favorite activity for many in the Seattle area and it’s a great way to get active while taking in all the beauty that makes where we live a “Pacific North-Wonderland”. Plus! National park free day is on January 15, 2018. This will allow you to get into Olympic and Rainier national parks for free. There are some incredible views on these hikes, so bring your camera! https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/fee-free-parks.htm
- Get outside. Even if you’re not running or participating in an outdoor aerobics class, getting outside to read a book, go for a walk or to have a picnic is good for your health too. Fresh air really is good for us; good for the soul. Even though it rains, we live in a beautiful place, so let’s make sure we get out there and enjoy it. Free State park day is on March 19, 2018. These parks are wonderful places to get outside and have some fun! http://www.parks.state.wa.us/281/Find-a-park
- Create healthy habits. Drink more water, stretch each morning, eat more natural, nutrient rich food. Any or all of these are great places to start, but there is so much more you can do to make small changes to improve your health not just physically, but mentally and emotionally too. Every once in a while swap out a starchy side-dish for a side salad. Take time to really relax. Make sure you spend time re-energizing. (You may do this best by spending time alone or by spending time with good friends. It’s different for everyone.)
Remember! The changes you make don’t have to be drastic ones. Focusing on small lifestyle changes one step at a time is sometimes the best way to make sure they stick.